Gujarat International Finance & Tec-City (GIFT City)
GIFT City is one of the most ambitious infrastructure-led projects to be undertaken on Indian soil and one that India’s Honourable Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi, believes will ‘meet the needs of a modern India and create space in the global financial world’.
Its main purpose is to provide high-quality physical infrastructure including electricity, gas, water, district heating and waste, so that finance and technology firms can relocate from areas such as Mumbai and Bangalore, where infrastructure is either inadequate or expensive.
Envac won the tender to provide the world’s first integrated waste and recycling segregation plant, contribute towards GIFT City’s Smart City status through the provision of its sustainable waste transportation technology and ensure the seamless underground automated waste collection of up to 400 tonnes of waste each day throughout a site spanning 886 acres in Gandhinagar.
On its completion in 2025 – 2028, GIFT City will comprise:
- Residential and commercial zones
- A world-class trade centre
- Approximately 25,000 apartments with over 100,000 residents and a working population of 500,000
- A retail zone that is expected to attract 25,000 – 50,000 visitors each week
- 115 towers each ranging from 25 - 60 floors
Each building will contain two Envac chutes, which will feed in to one of seven on-site collection stations covering organic waste and mixed recyclables. Envac will also be responsible for sorting the mixed recyclables in a deal that makes GIFT City the first site in the world to introduce an Envac system that addresses every element of the waste collection process.
Envac’s automated waste collection system and recyclable segregation plant became operational on 1 April 2015 and is currently being installed into the fabric of each and every unit as the development continues to be built out.
So far, Envac has:
- Created a ‘best in class’ waste collection solution that will service 874,000 people on the development’s completion
- Replaced 70 – 80 waste collection vehicles with an underground pipe network, supporting GIFT City’s traffic management plan
- Reduced the operational cost of waste collection by over 70 per cent
- Created a blueprint for modern-day waste collection in India
- Played an integral role in helping GIFT City become a global showcase of excellence and a ‘world’s first’ by integrating its technology within the fabric of the entire development
- Added value to GIFT City by minimising the level of human interaction typically required with traditional waste collection and disposal
- Laid the foundations of a waste legacy that has futureproofed GIFT City and ensured that waste collection in and around the site will remain clean, efficient and unseen for decades to come
“Laying visionary plans for a world-class development is one thing, but to actually make them a reality is another. However, with Envac we’ve found a partner that has added value to GIFT City on so many levels. The system’s ability to revolutionise the waste collection process, from making the development cleaner and more hygienic by eliminating overfull bins, to making the area safer and more environmentally friendly by removing large trucks from the waste collection process - all whilst reducing the cost of waste collection - is extraordinary. We have no doubt that Envac will continue to support the Clean India initiative and we look forward to rolling out the system as the project develops.”
Ajay Pandey, Managing Director and Group CEO at GIFT City